Saturday 1 October 2022

#MUK50



It's been 50 years since The Mighty World of Marvel No1. smashed its way onto the scene on Saturday the 30th September 1972. Even though my memory of that week is extremely limited, well you can forgive me for that as an adult of 52 years not many can remember what they were doing as a 2 year old child, I fancy giving over this blog to recording the history of Marvel UK week by week but fifty years later. With more wiser and mature eyes (well some might say more senile, jaded and bitter, with tired eyes that need glasses). So I'll try to blog about my weekly read through my complete 1970's Marvel UK collection starting with MWOM issue 1 and continue through the decade and maybe into the 80s and beyond. A tricky task as during March 1975 seven weeklies are published. By October of that year it drops to six with the latest comic The Titans a landscape weekly with practically twice the content of a normal weekly and by February 1976 Spider-man Comics Weekly merges with the super heroes to become Super Spider-Man with the Superheroes, another landscape comic making the amount of weekly reading virtually eight comics a week. Hopefully keeping up with task on a weekly bases but may be switching to fortnightly or monthly if I fall behind. 

Twenty years ago I did read through my smaller collection on a time slip routine and I managed to keep up even with two small children and a wife. Now with a complete 70's collection this could get tricky. It's a mammoth task, may have tried. So it's important for me to list those who have gone before. Starting with Tim Field and his wonderful blog Week Ending, it's a great little read that well worth following as you read those issues he writes about. Steve W. who's blog Steve does comics  regularly contains posts about Marvel UK, especially look for "Marvel UK, 40 years ago this week" which obviously start 10 years ago with a fun offbeat approach to Marvels British output. Thought Balloon is another great website that offers insight to key Marvel UK issues, an absolute treasure trove of comic goodness. Facebook holds a host of fan groups that also carry many posts from like minded fanatics, Marvel UK Comics Make Mine Marvel UK The Mighty World of British Comics and UK Marvel in the Seventies

So if you love Marvel UK comics from the 70's and 80's read along with me and see if we discover something new on our nostalgic trip through our childhood passion in what I'm calling HashtagMUK50. Yeah it's not very catchy and doesn't roll off the tongue but it is 2022 and I'm trying to sound trendy and down with the kids. (Not really working that but never mind.) Plus I can't think of anything else. See you in seven.

#MUK50 

Make Mine Marvel.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment