Week Ending 22rd September 1976
Except it won't be, at least for a while.
It was for nearly four years, on the 2rd October 2022 that the Power of the Beesting started a weekly look at British Marvel comics from fifty years ago, starting with the Mighty World of Marvel #1, only to be joined by Spider-man Comics Weekly #1, nineteen weeks later. In less than a year from MWOM #1 the Avengers weekly makes three. Just over a year after that two more weeklies joined the line up, Dracula Lives and the Planet of the Apes. Twenty weeks later the Super-Heroes and the Savage Sword of Conan came making it seven comics per week. It was tough but I managed it each and every week. It was hard but I got there. Conan joined the Avengers making it six comics a week. Eleven months later The Titans made it seven again. If you're a British Marvel comics fan, or if you've read the Week Ending blogs you would know that the Super-Heroes merged with Spider-man Comics Weekly and Planet of the Apes teamed up with Dracula Lives. 207 Week Ending blogs! I loved the variety. They've all been brilliant! It's been a joy doing them. But I need to take a breather.
So with a heavy heart I feel like I need a break, so that I can do the things that made me love comics in the first place, mainly reading them.
Now is a weird time to take a break, with some interesting new comics just on the horizon. Of late each new blog has been getting on average around 200 views in its first week. Last month the blog had 19653 views. At the time of writing the blog has had 254944 views over all. But this blog is taking up a lot of my spare time. I have a full time job anyway, with most of my free time being spent on the blog life has become hectic lately, meaning that the blog is getting harder to do. I try to finish the blog on Sunday evening but over the last six week's I've been up after midnight, last week I went to sleep at 1.30 am on Monday morning. I also need to spend some time helping my family with an important phase in their life. Nothing too serious, I just need to be there and support them.
I started this blog to read the weeklies each week and review them, sharing the fifty year old nostalgia with like minded friends. Part of the joy was reading the issues to be reviewed, but of late I haven't had the time to read those weeklies, which has been a real shame as well has making it harder to research those mags. The process just hasn't been flowing which has made it harder for me and lessened the joy of it.
I'll like to thank all the people who have joined in with the blog, the Friends of the Beesting who have made it worth it and a joy, whether they were just regular readers or those who commented regularly on the blog, like Colin Jones, Dangermash, Paul B, Mark Lotinga, Rod Tough and many more. Those who passed on the blog like Pete Hendy on Twitter and Steve W from the Steve Does Comics blog. In fact if you're missing the Power of the Beesting Week Ending blog check out Steve's blog, it's great. The biggest thanks have to be saved for my brother, Andrew. His help was pivotal in getting the blog out every week, his morale kept me going and if not for him over fifty years ago I might not have gotten my love for comics.
It's not the end, only a break, I'm hoping to start the weekly Week Ending reviews up again, when it feels like the right time. In the mean time I plan to do some one-off specials. I'll not say what they are just yet, you might have guessed that one will be celebrating a certain British icon.
So until next time, I won't be seeing you in seven, but hopefully very soon.
Make Mine Marvel

I love reading your blogs and totally understand why you need a break. But hopefully you will return before too long as you’re right at the point where I started collecting ALL of the weeklies, not just Spidey. Hopefully you will enjoy my Gerry Conway article next year (it mentions my love of Super Spider-Man). Have a good rest and hope to read more from you soon
ReplyDeleteWishing you the very best - and you take your time. We’ll all reconvene later on. Just a suggestion but even when you’re free to resume, maybe later next year, why not write a few up in advance so you can then just drop them in along the way. See you later.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear this Mark. Power of the bee sting is such a wonderful informative read. Fully support your decision and hope to see its return as soon as you are able to but family comes first! Take care. In the meantime Make Mine Power Of The Bee Sting!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all your efforts, Mark - they are much appreciated and I'm glad you are still planning to celebrate the upcoming 50th anniversary of "a certain British icon" which I shall look forward to.
ReplyDeleteCan’t say I won’t miss this blog but I’m amazed you managed to make it this far. Thank you so much for your generous hard work and obvious love for your subject. This is the only blog I have read every week since it’s inception and have thoroughly enjoyed every one.
ReplyDeleteYour work on the bog has been a true joy to read and has brought back some wonderful memories. Have a great rest and when you are ready to resume it'll be fantastic to have you and the blog back. Thankyou for all your terrific work.
ReplyDeleteBlog! Not bog! The joys of autoincorrect!
ReplyDeleteAlthough we obviously all hope your work on the bog is, and continues to be, a joy.
DeleteThis has been a great blog Mark. Thanks for all your efforts. If and when it returns, I'll be back here too. Enjoy your newly found weekend freedom.
ReplyDeleteI'll give a plug here for the Feedly app (nothing to do with me, and not paid advertising). You tell it all your favourite websites and whenever something new comes up they put it in your feed. Great for irregularly updated websites or websites going on a long hiatus. It's how I keep up with things like Marvel In The Silver Age and spiderfan.org. So the next time you post I'll see it in my feed when I check it out with my breakfast.
Hi Mark
ReplyDeleteI want to thank you for all the hard work you put into the blog, it has been my favourite website since you started.
I think you are making the right decision here and I look forward to anything you publish in the future.
All the Best
Paul B
Echoing everyone else - many thanks for all your blogs so far, Mark. Its been a highlight of the week for me and I'm amazed you've got this far - must be so time consuming. Hope to see a new entry in the future. Good luck with everything.
ReplyDeleteMark, your blog is fantastic. Your love of the comics and the joy they bring you shines through and is infectious. Hope to read more soon and thank you for taking the time to share them in the first place. Take care.
ReplyDeleteMark - Over a quarter of a million views is an incredible achievement to be proud of ! Reviewing so many titles, including pictures etc, too - nobody could sustain that, indefinitely. I certainly couldn't! My favourite post was you relating driving through the Lake District, imagining Marvel's characters tearing around the landscape! That's the feeling we all try to recapture. That "certain British icon"... I'll definitely be watching out for that one, him being my childhood favourite, too! Thanks for all your generosity, with your time, resources (comics) & energy.
ReplyDeletePhillip
Hi, Mark. I'm not surprised you need a rest. I've always been amazed by the amount of hard work you put into each post.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes for the future and, of course, thanks for mentioning my own site.
Thank you so much for all your fantastic hard work creating your brilliant blog Mark. I know your efforts have been enjoyed and appreciated by so many people. Enjoy your well earned rest. Wishing you and your family all the very best. Take care.
ReplyDeleteCompletely understand and support your decision Mark. I'm in a similar situation with the music blog that I've been running for years. I just can't raise the bravery to give it a rest! Just know that, when you're ready to return, there will always be a place for your posts in the FB group "UK MARVEL IN THE SEVENTIES" (assuming FB and I are still going?). Hope everything works out for you and your family. All the best, John
ReplyDeleteYour work has been a great entertainment and a window on a happy childhood to many individuals. Thank you for all your precious time and effort.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I've enjoyed these posts and you've more than earned a break.
ReplyDeleteRobert Menzies
A well deserved break . I only produce a general comic book blog adding whatever item takes my fancy with minimal text and that takes up a fair amount of my free time scanning etc. I can only imagine the work you have to put into this blog , and it shows it's a great fun nostalgic and informative read. Take care and I hope to see you back on here soon
ReplyDelete